This article is a guide for setting a Free Text quiz. For advice on setting a Multiple Choice quiz, click here.
1. From the dashboard, click on CREATE NEW in the "My Quizzes" section of the Teacher Dashboard.
2. Enter the initial information needed to create a quiz (TITLE, DATE, QUESTION BANK, TOPICS). The topics you choose will narrow down the questions available to use when you get to the next step.
3. Enter the number of questions you would like to have on the quiz then click "SELECT QUESTIONS" to choose the questions you wish to include. A screen like the following will appear:
4. Once you have chosen your questions, click "CONFIRM SELECTION".
5. If you click SHOW ADVANCED OPTIONS you can:
- Edit the number of attempts students can have at the quiz (it's 2 by default as we think that's best retrieval-practice-wise)
- Choose for the questions to appear in sequential order (it's off by default so that students can't 'exchange notes' on questions when randomised, or memorise answers in order)
- Turn text to speech on, which helps visually impaired students or those who struggle with reading. You can also use this together with the 'Hide question text' option, if you want to set a spelling quiz for example
- Toggle the Student Interface language for the quiz, by selecting either English or Welsh
6. When you're finished configuring your quiz, click ASSIGN. A window will appear allowing you to pick the class to which you'll assign the quiz. Quizzes can be assigned to your own classes for Silver and Gold users, or to classes across your School or MAT if you're a Platinum user. Click CREATE QUIZ to complete the quiz creation process.
Your quiz is now created and you can access all the quiz ACTIONS, including creating a link to share with students, analysis, marking and archiving, from the teacher dashboard.
You can also edit the NAME and DATE of your quiz by selecting EDIT DETAILS:
Tips for creating a quiz
- The DATE field is used to organise your My Quizzes dashboard chronologically. For 'DATE' you can choose date set, date due, or even something else. Quizzes do not lock after the date has passed.
- You don't have to select any topics as all topics will be selected by default, but if you do, the questions that appear when you click SELECT QUESTIONS will be limited to the topics chosen.
- Use REVISION MODE to let students see questions in flashcard form. REVISE TOPICS will give students access to the flashcards for all topics included in the quiz; REVISE QUESTIONS will give access only to flashcards for the questions that have been included in the quiz.
- Once you've selected your questions, you can assign a quiz to a class. The ASSIGN button will be greyed out until you've selected your questions.
In the following video our Education Director Adam Boxer explains how to set a quiz: